On Mecset (mosque) Street, Budapest, a short, steep walk from Margaret Bridge in Rózsadomb. Built between 1543 and 1548, on the orders of the third pasha of Buda during the Ottoman era, it has a shallow dome covered with lead plates and wood tiles. After Holy League armies captured Buda in 1686, it was converted it into "St. Joseph's Chapel" by the Jesuits. Muslim pilgrims continued to visit from the Ottoman Empire. In 1885, the tomb was restored, in 1914 declared a national monument and is today the property of the Republic of Turkey.
Gül Baba, called "Father of Roses" who died in 1541, was an Ottoman Bektashi dervish poet and companion of Sultan Suleiman the Magnificent during military campaigns in Europe. The Bektashi, now a Sufi order combining many Sunni, Shi'a and Sufi concepts, were very influencial in the Balkan districts of the Ottoman Empire and their practices included the veneration of an experienced spiritual guide, called a baba. They had close ties to the Ottoman Janissaries, an elite corps of conscripts taken as pre-adolescent boys from Christian families under the devşirme system, and converted to Islam. During the early, most vigorous years of the institution, these highly disciplined army troops were not permitted to marry or to grow beards, but expected to eat, sleep, fight and die together, as a brotherhood, with the Sultan as their father.