The sad history of Warsaw’s Jewish community, once nearly 400,000 people strong and 40 percent of the city’s population, is still traceable on the streets. The Jewish Ghetto, where the Nazis forced the city’s Jews to live, was completely destroyed as punishment for an unsuccessful 1943 uprising. The Memorial of the Heroes of the Warsaw Ghetto was erected on the site of one of the main bunkers of the Jewish Combat Organization using granite and bronze originally purchased by Hitler to build a monument to the German Third Reich. A monument commemorating the Jews who were deported to Treblinka concentration camp exists on the site of the collection point where Jews were leaded onto railroad trains. Some portions of the original 10-foot-high brick walls that encircled the ghetto still stand.
The Nozyk Synagogue is the only remaining pre-war synagogue in Warsaw – it escaped the fate of other synagogues because the Nazis used it as a stable. It hosts daily religious services and its religious music attracts visitors from around the world.
The Jewish Historical Institute stands on the grounds where the original Great Synagogue of Warsaw once stood, and houses a large collection of Jewish artifacts, artwork, and religious objects.